Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday School Lesson

TO ALL OUR CHILDREN:
Today, May 19, 2013 I gave the Sunday School  Gospel Doctrine lesson on the purpose of the Kirtland Temple.  I have been stewing on this for the past month, when they assigned it to me.  They rotate this assignment among all the missionaries, along with the Priesthood / Relief Society lessons, and the Sacrament Meeting talks.
As one can see from the photos, which I took the week before, with another missionary giving his lesson, this is not just "another Ward Gospel Doctrine class".  We have over 400 missionaries each Sunday in our "cozy little class".  With their backgrounds and personalities, it is like giving a "lesson" to a bunch of General Authorities".  But they are such wonderful people to associate with every day!!  But it is quite another thing altogether, to teach THEM something. Humbling, to say the least.
Some would say that it isn't any worse than giving a lecture to 100 or so dental students, but it is much more so,  in that we have to get "complete audience participation",  on a very spiritual level.   I'm sure you know what I mean.

That is the Mission President in the doorway.

My lesson centered on the comparison between D & C 95:8-9, and Luke 24:49.   Once the Temple was completed it was a day of Pentacost in a much greater  magnitude than the early day Church, which empowered the Church and its missionaries to rise to the occasion of gathering the people which the Lord was preparing in England and northern Europe (the blood of Ephraim).  The missionaries then went to England the following year for the first time, (1837) , and by the year 1851 there were 33,000 members in England alone, compared with 12,000 in the Salt Lake Valley.  A pretty dramatic result of the Power given them in the Kirtland Temple experience!



I did not use power points, because I don't know how to do them.  (Where is my dental school secretary when I need her)
Next week, Becky will fulfill her assignment in the same Sunday School,  giving a lesson on the Plan of Salvation.
I have felt your prayers, and please continue them for her this week.
p.s.......This is Mom...Just had to say that Dad gave a great lesson with so much information and the Spirit was wonderful....I told our Mission president...Don't expect that when I give it next week!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite the Gospel Doctrine class! I think I would've fainted, had a heart attack or used up a whole bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
    At least you won't have to teach very often...maybe just this one time? I'm sure you did a great job and so will Becky.
    Becky, just use the talk you gave when you left-the one on patterns. Bishop Dean Davies gave a talk called "A Sure Foundation" in April Gen. Conf. He talked about the foundations made for the temples and how it goes along with the Plan of Salvation as we build our spiritual foundations...
    Good Luck! Keep up the good work.
    Love you guys!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure if it was anything like lessons you gave us as a home teacher, they were well thought out & just what they needed. We love you & miss you both! Glad you are having such wonderful & amazing experiences!

    Shauna Taggart

    ReplyDelete